Hello and welcome to Class 6!
Mr Holt is our teacher along with our teaching assistant Mrs Higgins.
Our termly letter for the autumn term can be found at the bottom of this page. Please have a look if you would like to know more about what we are studying this term.
As we are in Year 6, we have many responsibilities in school which we approach with a mature, professional attitude. Our responsibilities include:
* Setting up the laptop and music for worship
* Laying out the furniture in the hall for worship
* Collecting and totalling house points each week as house captains and vice captains
* Looking after our buddies in Class Reception
* Assisting with wet play provision in KS1 and Class reception
* Assisting the kitchen staff in tidying up the dining room after lunch
* Supporting teachers during achievement assembly by issuing ‘Star of the Week’ stickers and taking minutes
This autumn term our theme is ‘Survival’. Within our English lessons, we have already begun enjoying ‘Running Wild’ by Michael Morpurgo. We will be comparing this book to other classics such as ‘Treasure Island’ and ‘The Jungle Book.’ Eventually, we will use these books to help us to write our own survival stories. In science, we have started to look at how different animals survive in different environments, especially over winter when environments can change dramatically. We have had to design our own species with specific adaptations to survive in a given environment. Following on from this, we will be learning about inheritance and natural selection. We will also be conducting our own research all about Charles Darwin and Mary Anning, and their theories of evolution. To support our learning in this theme, we shall be visiting Brockholes Nature Reserve on Thursday 10th October to take part in a range of survival and bush craft outdoor activities.
In a few weeks’ time, we will begin to learn about World War 1 and World War 2 in the run up to Remembrance Day. We are really looking forward to leading the church Remembrance Service and understanding more about life during this difficult time in recent history.
Don’t forget to check our class page again soon to see some photos from our trip and to find out what else we have been up to in Class 6!